Formaly Kotka Maritime Research Centre is an independent research association, called Kotka Maritime Research Association (KMRA). It is managed by Executive Director Anna Kiiski.
The research centre’s activities are based on collaboration between four universities. A research management team consisting of professors, research managers and the centre’s research director guides all research activities.
The association’s board is responsible for managing KMRA. The association’s annual general meeting elects the board and the chairman of the board for two years at a time.
The research association has thirteen members:
- Aalto University
- Cursor Oy
- Etelä-Kymenlaakso Vocational College
- Kotka Maretarium Oy
- City of Kotka
- South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences
- Natural Resources Intstitute Finland
- University of Turku
- Finnish Transport Agency
- Finnish Transport Safety Agency
- Finnish Environment Institute
Chairman of the board: Anna-Maria Länsimies
- Aalto University: Jouni Partanen (Jani Romanoff)
- Etelä-Kymenlaakso Vocational College: Sami Tikkanen (Kimmo Kallioniemi)
- University of Helsinki: Kai Kokko (Sirkku Manninen)
- City of Kotka: Anna-Maria Länsimies (Terhi Lindholm)
- Natural Resources Institute Finland: Meri Kallasvuo (Riikka Venesjärvi)
- Metsähallitus: Ari Laine (Anu Riihimäki)
- University of Turku: Sakari Kajander (Sari Repka)
- South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences: Ville Henttu (Valdemar Kallunki)