The Gulf of Finland is a regional bottleneck for oil tanker traffic. The area is very sensitive water area with a unique brackish water ecosystem. According to EU Marine Strategy the ecological status of the marine environment needs to be improved. As traffic volumes in the GoF continue to rise and the risk of accidents increase, this has become a true challenge to tackle.
SIMREC (Simulators for improving Cross-Border Oil Spill Response in Extreme Conditions) main goal is to reduce environmental risks related to oil spill. This will be done by strengthening cooperation network between key authorities and research institutes to reduce risks related to increase maritime traffic and oil spills in extreme conditions. Focus needs to be on cross-border scenarios, operational needs and sharing best practices. SIMREC produce new technical developing tools and procedures for cost-effective cross-border training and management.
The South-East Finland-Russia CBC 2014-2020 programme is the main contributor.
The total budget for the project is EUR 1 467 266.
- Kotka Maritime Research Association KMRA (coordinator)
- Aalto University AALTO
- Finnish Environment Institute SYKE
- South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences XAMK
- University of Helsinki UH
- State Marine Technical University of Saint-Petersburg SMTU
- Admiral Makarov State University of Maritime and Inland Shipping MAKAROV