Vacancy: Research Director
We are looking for an employee for a brand new role of Research Director.
The Research Director plays a pivotal role in research coordination and implementation in the Kotka Maritime Research Centre focusing on the research topics of the centre.
The Research Director will act as a member of the Executive Board and will work actively with Prof. Pentti Kujala (Aalto University), Prof. Sakari Kuikka (University of Helsinki) and Prof. Tommi Inkinen (University of Turku) and Research Director Ville Henttu (South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Science). An active collaboration with research teams of universities of the centre is necessary.
The successful candidate will work closely with the KMRC research teams to:
- plan the interdisciplinary, applied research by combining the knowledge and skills of research teams;
- identify knowledge gaps and research priorities;
- produce competitive and relevant research project applications conducting interdisciplinary, applied research;
- write and coordinate joint publications and by this highlight the expertise of KMRC research.
The position is available from September 1, 2018, through August 31, 2020 (24 months). Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. This position is funded through KMRC basic funding and ongoing research projects. Option for continuation could be considered.
The ideal candidate will be someone who:
- Holds a Ph.D. in a relevant field (e.g., maritime safety, marine environment, logistics and port operations, or a related field), expertise being on assistant or associate professor level
- Has interest and experience in conducting interdisciplinary, applied research
- Has an interest and ability to learn new research methods as needed for attaining the objectives
- Has demonstrated high productivity in producing peer-reviewed publications
- Has knowledge of, or strong interest in, following topics (particularly in the Baltic Sea): ship operations and technology, maritime traffic, logistics, and maritime policy making; environmental and safety risks related to maritime traffic, research evaluation
- Works well both independently and as part of an interdisciplinary team. Is able to communicate effectively with researchers in various disciplines and with nonacademic members of governments, communities, and the private sector.
How to apply
Applicants should submit a detailed curriculum vitae including a list of publications, two to three representative publications, a statement of research interests, and two reference letters by email to Executive Director Anna Kiiski (firstname.lastname@example.org) with “Research director” as the subject line.
The deadline for applications is the 8th of June, 2018
Please address any inquiries to Executive Director Anna Kiiski, (email@example.com).